Image Map

Monday, August 5, 2013

Teacher Profile: Genesis Alvarenga by Minett Tran




A quiet classroom stands in the middle of the school. The classroom is empty, but not with furniture. In fact, this cream-colored classroom will be full soon at 10:10. Even when the room is full with students, there is one thing this classroom needs.
Every classroom needs a teacher.
It seems that Room 5 has found its teacher in Genesis Alvarenga. Genesis is the Algebra  teacher for 8th grade and also the teacher for Yoga, an elective. She is part of Breakthrough Collaborative, a program that promises to help students get to college with a 6-year program. In the program, Genesis teaches small groups of middle school students, which numbers ranging from six to nine, and is a part of the group of three people teaching Algebra.
The story of how Genesis got to Breakthrough is quite simple. “After my graduation speech,” she says, "a lady named Tanya from Breakthrough came up to me and referred me to Breakthrough. I’ve done some tutoring since high school, so I thought it would be a good experience. As for the application process, all the applicants print out a paper copy, then write on it. After that, we get an interview with Jia and Tina and do a mock lesson. I was one of the ones that got accepted in.”
At this point when she joined, she had expectations, like most teachers.  As most students know, being a  Breakthrough student is hard work and requires dedication. The program expects nothing less than excellence of their students. So do the teachers. “When I came to Breakthrough, I expected all the students to give their 100%,” Genesis states.” I wasn’t disappointed of course.”
When asked about her time before she came to Breakthrough, she talks about her family and college. She says, ”I’m actually going to Cal Poly later this year. I’m going to study Architecture as my major and uh.” As she pauses, she starts to think deeply, going back to her memories. "I actually am pretty ,uh, well, everyone in my family has  high expectations of me, since I’m the oldest. My other sister is about 12 years old like the students here.”
“When I first met Genesis, I thought she was a friendly person,” says Jordan Lim, another Breakthrough teacher.” I thought she was suuuuuper friendly and fun! I still think she is, too.”
Even Breakthrough is sometimes difficult to the teachers. The time management and homework that comes with the job of being a Breakthrough teacher parallels the work that comes with being a Breakthrough student. “We always have homework over the weekends," Genesis laughs. "The hardest part of being a teacher is the time management, and the fact that we have to be three days ahead in our lesson plans. The mentor teachers also check on us from time to time. Sometimes you can see them wander into our classroom.”
As a Breakthrough teacher, you have a fixed schedule that you follow every day. For example, Genesis says, "The Breakthrough teachers have to at least work 3 blocks. I have Block B Math, Block C Math, and  Block F Yoga. We also have to be at the school at 7:40 and greet the students.”
As you can see, Genesis is a very kind and caring towards the students. She does not slack or give up on the students. She embodies the connection that teachers should have with their students and the ability to teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment